The following policy outlines John Davidson and Associates Pty Ltd’s (JDA) commitment to ensuring the privacy of your personal information. The policy contains the following information:
- Collection of Information
- Use and Disclosure of Information
- Data Quality
- Data Security
- Access and Correction
- Trans-border Data Flows
- Sensitive Information
1. Collection of Information
Personal information will not be collected by JDA unless it is necessary for the purposes of conducting its primary function as a recruitment consultancy, and other related activities.
Personal information will only be collected by lawful and fair means. Personal information is stored electronically and as hard copy for a period of 5 years, after which time such information will be destroyed, de-identified or removed from JDA’s database unless instructed otherwise, in writing, by you.
Personal information is collected from you for the following purposes:
- Job applications
- Selection and interview process
- Reference checking
- Any law that requires that particular information to be collected
- Any consequences that may arise if all or part of the information is not provided.
2. Use and Disclosure of Information
JDA warrants that it will not use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than that outlined in Section 1. Collection of Information unless:
- You consent to the use or disclosure of personal information
- JDA has reasonable suspicion that unlawful activity has been, or is being undertaken. In this instance, JDA will disclose the personal information as a necessary part of any investigation of the suspected unlawful activity, or in reporting the matter to relevant persons or authority
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by law
- JDA reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary for the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, laws relating to the confiscation of proceeds of crime, protection of public revenue, the remedying of improper conduct, or for the conduct of proceedings before a court or tribunal.
Any personal information disclosed for the purposes outlined above will be noted and kept in your personal file (either as a hard copy or electronically).
3. Data Quality
Reasonable steps will be taken by JDA to ensure that the personal information collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
4. Data Security
Reasonable steps will be taken by JDA to ensure that the personal information it holds will be protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
JDA will also take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information it no longer needs.
JDA has internal procedures regarding the appropriate use of personal information. Should you wish to know the type of personal information we hold, the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose that information, please contact the privacy officer via the means outlined in Section 11 Queries.
6. Access and Correction
JDA will provide you with access to your personal information on request. Exceptions include instances:
- Where access would pose a serious threat to your life or health
- Where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other persons
- Of frivolous or vexatious requests or existing or anticipated legal proceedings between JDA and you
- Where negotiations between JDA and you would be prejudiced
- Where access would be unlawful or likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity
- Where access would be likely to prejudice the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law, the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of proceeds of crime, protection of public revenue, improper conduct or the preparation for or conduct of proceedings before a court or tribunal
- Where an enforcement body asks JDA not to provide access to the information on the basis that providing such access would be likely to put Australia’s security at risk.
If JDA declines to provide you with personal information because of any of the reasons listed above, those reasons will be provided to you in writing. Should you disagree with JDA’s decision, JDA will agree to the process of mediation to review the decision provided the mediator holds a recognised mediator and arbitration qualification.
For the purposes of this clause, an identifier is a number assigned to each person registered on JDA’s computer system. Each identifier is unique.
No external identifiers, such as those assigned by an agency or a contracted service provider for a Commonwealth contract are used to ensure integrity of the personal information stored in JDA’s computer system.
There are few circumstances where anonymity would be appropriate in the selection and interview process. You have the option of remaining anonymous in your dealings with JDA, however in doing so, your decision may impede the job selection process.
9. Trans-border Data Flows
JDA will not transfer personal information to a person or organisation in a country other than Australia if it believes that the recipient of the personal information is not subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which upholds the same or similar principles to Australia’s National Privacy legislation.
An exception to the above will be if you consent to the transfer of the personal information.
10. Sensitive Information
Sensitive information is defined by JDA as information that clearly identifies your racial, political, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and any communicable diseases from which you suffer, and is irrelevant to the performance of the job to be done.
Unless you consent, or it is required by law, we will not collect sensitive personal information about you.
Exceptions to this will be where the collection of sensitive information is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious or imminent threat to your life or health, or is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
If you have any queries about how we collect and use your personal information, please submit your query (in writing) to JDA’s privacy officer by either of the following means: Email:
or Mail: A3/5 Grevillea Place, Eagle Farm Qld 4009 (PO Box 1433, Eagle Farm BC 4009).